[ale] Partitioning Problems

Andrew Grieser agrieser at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 08:58:23 EST 2008

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 12:00:01 -0500
Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:

> That's  bit strange.  I've not run into that, but I haven't run Fedora
> for a while.  Let me understand, you had partitions that Ubuntu and
> Windows were happy with but when you booted a CD or DVD with Fedora, it
> said it didn't like the partition table.  Then you let Fedora
> re-initialize it.  At this point I suspect that you don't have a valid
> Windows partition any longer, unless you gave it the right parameters
> when you let Fedora re-initialize it.
>
> What problems are you running into?  You should probably not let another
> install re-initialize the partition table, unless you're prepared to
> reload all the OSs.  That's fairly destructive.
>
> Jim.

Jim,

I knew that I would lose all data on the drive, but I just wanted to see if that would fix things. It didn't.

I've written this off as a corrupted partition table / bad hard drive. I re-wrote the partition table several times, but did not see any improvement. I've since replaced the drive with a new one and now everything magically works.

I guess Fedora must be more sensitive to corrupted partition tables.

Andrew