[ale] Do browsers treat secure sites differently WRT style?

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sun Dec 28 21:26:41 EST 2008

Brian Pitts wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-12-28 at 06:47 -0500, Jim Lynch wrote:
>
>> I have a static page that renders differently under ssl than normal.  I
>> have no idea why.  The page has styles for some of the elements but not
>> the one that is different.  A table served by ssl has the same default
>> background color as the rest of the page.  When it is being served by
>> plain Apache, the background is white.
>>
>> Any idea why?  Konqueror does the same thing, ditto Opera and IE6.
>>

> Do you have an external stylesheet for the table on a subdomain where
> the ssl certificate isn't valid?
>
> -Brian

No subdomains, this is currently only a local machine, 192.168.2.50.
The ssl cert is self signed.  The original problem was with a cgi script
that looked different, but when I grabbed the html and saved it as a
static page, the problem remained.  It is an external stylesheet,
css/styles.css.

But you did point me in the right direction.  Sometimes I hate
computers!  The stylesheet that was being used was coming from
/var/www/html/css/styles.css and /var/www-ssl/html/css/styles.css and
not from /var/www/html/test/css/styles.css, etc. where I had put my
stylesheet.  I gotta watch out for those leading slashes.

Thanks,
Jim.