[ale] FUSE you use (was Re: gPodder NOT Writing to Other Partition)

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Dec 23 23:17:02 EST 2008

Jim Kinney wrote:
> Fuse is a file system in user space. It is used to allow non-root, non-sudo
> mounts of nearly anything the use requesting has read/write access to.
> http://fuse.sourceforge.net/

There isn't a FUSE implementation of ext3 AFAIK, so I don't think it
could have helped with the current question. The 'user' option in fstab
is still the way to let normal users mount native linux filesystems.

I do love FUSE though. I'm curious which filesystems based on FUSE ALErs
regularly use. There's a list of available ones, broken into different
categories, here. [0]

I use sshfs regularly, ntfs-3g occasionally, and used encfs before I
went with whole-disk encryption. I've used fusedaap and djmount before
to access daap and upnp media servers.

Maybe the most impressive software I've seen built with FUSE is
GlusterFS, a clustered filesystem. [1]

[0] http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/fuse/index.php
[1] http://www.gluster.org/

-Brian