[ale] Difference between top and system monitor

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Thu Dec 11 11:34:52 EST 2008

Jim Kinney wrote:
> does songbird only show individual user processes? The gnome system
> process applet shows data from everything.
>
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net
> <mailto:hscast at charter.net>> wrote:
>
>     What's the difference between top and the gnome gui system monitor? I
>     noticed in top that Songbird spends most of the time at the top of the
>     list running about 40% - 63% CPU usage, but in system monitor it only
>     shows Songbird at 18% usage.
>
>     TIA
>     Scott

> James P. Kinney III

In both it just shows up as a single process. When I do a ps -ef it
appears that the ppid = 1 (root). I do also find it interesting that all
of a sudden (today) it is using so much time. Previously my cpu usage
was at a minimal, even with more going on. The only difference seems to
be a kernel update that happened this morning along with some other
software. I guess I could try booting into the earlier kernel to see if
that's it. I don't recall what else got updated. I have also noticed
that the GUI reports approximately half the usage that top reports per
process.