[ale] Q: Out of the Nest: ending bottom SSH session (ASCII Art Alert)

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Thu Dec 11 10:31:07 EST 2008

ALErs -

I frequently open an SSH console from one Linux host to another, then from
the second to a third:

   +-------+ SSH     (SSH) +-------+ SSH +---+
   | larry |---->[FW]----->| curly |---->|moe|
   +-------+               +-------+     +---+

Between 'larry' and 'curly' is a firewall that forwards incoming SSH only
to 'curly' so I can't bypass that node.

larry: ~$ ssh curly
curly: ~> ssh moe
moe: / [and do some work here]
moe: / < NOW_GET_ME_OUTA_HERE!! />

My problem is that an 'exit' call from my console (supposedly on 'moe') is
intercepted and actually closes the top-level session on 'larry'. My exit
(or recovery) procedure thus becomes:

1) open another SSH console to 'curly'
2) from that, close the SSH login to 'moe' (with some kind of
  'ps ...|grep ...| kill -9...')
3) close or use the 2nd session on 'curly'

Q: How, when I'm logged into 'moe' can I "escape" my 'exit' call and close
just that bottom-level shell, returning directly to my session on 'curly'?
Each is running a BASH shell.

TIA.

  - Mills