[ale] HOW2 cheaply & wirelessly connect to "wired" LAN ?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 11:45:25 EDT 2008

You will need 2 wireless devices. One for the portable and one for the
network itself. Pcmcia cards can be found cheap on ebay. The Orinoco Gold
cards work perfectly with Linux. Others may but it's a crapshoot s they
change chips with every batch and call them the same model. On the network
side you want a wireless access point. Linksys make a model that can support
other firmware loads based on Linux. The next ALE talk is from Charles
Shapiro on this topic exactly!

I have not used any of the USB wireles devices so I don't know if any work
with Linux.

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Courtney Thomas <
courtneycthomas at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Greetings Again !
>
> I'd like to be able to take a portable into other rooms of the house
> without
> running cable from the hub.
>
> How can I, in the least expensive way, move the portable about the house
> without running cable,
> i.e. is there some sort of adapter pair that can, once one is "connected"
> the hub,
> transmit to the other [computer] adapter, resulting in the portable being
> on
> the LAN ?
>
> Will this require a wireless card for the portable or must it plug into the
> portable with CAT5 cable ?
>
> Does the hub adapter plug into the hub using CAT5 cable, or what ?
>
> Where can these items be gotten most inexpensively, please ?
>
> Thanks to all,
>
> Courtney

James P. Kinney III