[ale] Back in Time: 'mwm' 'pager' question

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sun Aug 17 21:29:55 EDT 2008

ALErs -

A bit of googling suggests I should rephrase my question. Apparently the
Motif 'pager' is deprecated. Perhaps explaining the problem will draw some
suggestions of tools or usage to handle a busy window with a lightweight
manager.

I'm using 'mwm' just to have a simple window manager for my remote VNC
sessions. I'm not wedded to 'mwm', but I find it familiar, lightweight,
and know how to make the basic settings. I suppose I could as well have
used 'fvwm' or 'WindowMaker'. For native sessions I use SuSE's KDE.

My problem is in changing focus to an application obscured by a number of
others running on the same window, I often have to minimize a number of
apps to find the one I want. By 'pager' I meant the small crib-like widget
that showed a thumbnail for each managed app that was running. I though
having it would make my navigation a bit easier.

TIA for other suggestions.

  - Mills