[ale] Major Hdwe upgrade foils LVM

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 13:36:32 EDT 2008

Sounds like a "fun" challenge :-)

First off, grub is grousing because it can't find the original / partition.
The LVM isn't loading because of the miss-ordering of the drives. It
_should_ be using labels on the drives themselves but it seems like
something is wrong. Which Fedora version is loaded on the drives?

BIOS ordering is ignored on the /boot is found. What does matter is pci
device numbering.  So try plugging in the 500G into the SATA port the first
37G is plugged into the 37G into the 500G port.  I suspect the SATA ports
are using the primary/secondary scheme and that is fouling up the PCI device
numbering.

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 12:28 PM, <hscast at charter.net> wrote:

> Took the plunge after my AMD Socket A processor burned up and also took
> down the PSU. Bought new 520 W Corsair PSU along with a Gigabyte AM2+ MoBo
> but only with an AMD 64 X2 processor and 4GB RAM (800MHz). I still have the
> original HDDs (80GB, 250GB, 160GB, 500GB, 37GB, 37GB). The first 2 are PATA
> and the other 4 are SATA which I had originally had connected to a PCI-SATA
> 4 port card. The original; drive assignments or designators were as in order
> by size; sda, sdb, sdc, sdd, sde, sdf. The new Mobo has one PATA port
> (master/Slave), and 6 SATA ports (0-5) of which the last 2 are inactive in
> non-raid configs. The BIOS has them set as IDE the only non-raid config. The
> BIOS also "sees" the drives in the correct order, however Fedora rescue boot
> swaps the 500GB with the 1st 37GB making the order as 80GB = sda, 250GB =
> sdb, 160GB = sdc, 1st 37GB = sdd, 500GB = sde, & 2nd 37GB sdf. I went to
> Fedora rescue as the system originally wouldn't boot, GRUB comes up but it
> seems to have a !
>  problem with the LVM. Everything except of course is in a LVM partition
> except of course /boot. Under system rescue, the volumes get mounted, but
> with errors, but I'm not sure what the errors are, or at least I don't
> understand it any way.
>
> I hope that this is somewhat clear and someone may be able to point me in
> the right direction.
>
> TIA
> Scott

James P. Kinney III