[ale] Major Hdwe upgrade foils LVM

hscast at charter.net hscast at charter.net
Sun Aug 17 12:28:38 EDT 2008

Took the plunge after my AMD Socket A processor burned up and also took down the PSU. Bought new 520 W Corsair PSU along with a Gigabyte AM2+ MoBo but only with an AMD 64 X2 processor and 4GB RAM (800MHz). I still have the original HDDs (80GB, 250GB, 160GB, 500GB, 37GB, 37GB). The first 2 are PATA and the other 4 are SATA which I had originally had connected to a PCI-SATA 4 port card. The original; drive assignments or designators were as in order by size; sda, sdb, sdc, sdd, sde, sdf. The new Mobo has one PATA port (master/Slave), and 6 SATA ports (0-5) of which the last 2 are inactive in non-raid configs. The BIOS has them set as IDE the only non-raid config. The BIOS also "sees" the drives in the correct order, however Fedora rescue boot swaps the 500GB with the 1st 37GB making the order as 80GB = sda, 250GB = sdb, 160GB = sdc, 1st 37GB = sdd, 500GB = sde, & 2nd 37GB sdf. I went to Fedora rescue as the system originally wouldn't boot, GRUB comes up but it seems to have a problem with the LVM. Everything except of course is in a LVM partition except of course /boot. Under system rescue, the volumes get mounted, but with errors, but I'm not sure what the errors are, or at least I don't understand it any way.

I hope that this is somewhat clear and someone may be able to point me in the right direction.

TIA
Scott