[ale] Using 'tar' directly to a DVD

Benjie benjie.godfrey at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 21:58:29 EDT 2008

I am not sure that it is possible with tar by itself.  Under Linux an
application would need to send a command to the dvd hardware to set
the laser to burn.  Filesystem activity alone wont do that.

2008/8/8 Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us>:
> Alright, so this is bugging me a bit, and I _thought_ there was a way to
> sequentually write discs without the tools, but it would seem that there
> isn't under Linux (I know FreeBSD can do this).
>
> I'd like to use tar to create a multi-volume backup to a DVD, something
> like this:
>
> $ tar --create --multi-volume -f /dev/scd0 ${HOME}
>
> However, the following is what happens:
>
> Friday, 2008-Aug-08 at 19:27:35 - mbt at zest - Linux v2.6.24
> Ubuntu Hardy:[0-1/501-0]:~> tar --create --multi-volume
> -f /dev/scd0 /home/mbt
> tar: /dev/scd0: Cannot open: Read-only file system
>
> Friday, 2008-Aug-08 at 19:27:46 - mbt at zest - Linux v2.6.24
> Ubuntu Hardy:[0-2/502-2]:~>
>
> The disc in the drive is a blank DVD-R.
>
> It looks like there may be a workaround, having tar dump a certain
> number of bytes to a FIFO, using another program to read from that fifo
> and burn the stream from it to the DVD-R, and then have it pause, do the
> change, and start again with the next volume, but I think that it'd be
> somewhat silly to have to do all of that.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to use tar directly with a burner device to
> burn backups on Linux without such strange workarounds?
>
>        --- Mike
>
> --
> My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.

"The most important thing to remember about drunks is that drunks are
far more intelligent than non-drunks. They spend a lot of time talking
in pubs, unlike workaholics who concentrate on their careers and
ambitions, who never develop their higher spiritual values, who never
explore the insides of their head like a drunk does." -- Shane McGowan