[ale] Using 'tar' directly to a DVD

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Aug 8 19:32:11 EDT 2008

Alright, so this is bugging me a bit, and I _thought_ there was a way to
sequentually write discs without the tools, but it would seem that there
isn't under Linux (I know FreeBSD can do this).

I'd like to use tar to create a multi-volume backup to a DVD, something
like this:

$ tar --create --multi-volume -f /dev/scd0 ${HOME}

However, the following is what happens:

Friday, 2008-Aug-08 at 19:27:35 - mbt at zest - Linux v2.6.24
Ubuntu Hardy:[0-1/501-0]:~> tar --create --multi-volume
-f /dev/scd0 /home/mbt
tar: /dev/scd0: Cannot open: Read-only file system

Friday, 2008-Aug-08 at 19:27:46 - mbt at zest - Linux v2.6.24
Ubuntu Hardy:[0-2/502-2]:~>

The disc in the drive is a blank DVD-R.

It looks like there may be a workaround, having tar dump a certain
number of bytes to a FIFO, using another program to read from that fifo
and burn the stream from it to the DVD-R, and then have it pause, do the
change, and start again with the next volume, but I think that it'd be
somewhat silly to have to do all of that.

Does anyone know of a way to use tar directly with a burner device to
burn backups on Linux without such strange workarounds?

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.