[ale] How easy using a USB CellModem has become.

Thomas, Dave dthomas at tandbergtv.com
Sun Aug 3 19:57:04 EDT 2008

Not that gentoo makes everything easy, but I've been running a Sprint
Sierra Wireless AC595U as my primary internet connection for the last 13
months.  It's a remarkably stable and fast and Google Maps is a great
replacement for GPS.  Average ping time to google is 220 ms and download
bandwidth 800 kbps / 120pps.  I've seen as high as 2.5 MBits.

On several occasions I've made skype calls to my parents (on sabbatical
taking to me from internet cafes or hotels in China, India, France,
Africa, and Brazil) before starting the car and driving from work in
Duluth to my home in Virginia Highlands.  Call quality was almost on par
with same you'd expect overseas cell-to-cell.  Routing my Nokia N770
through my laptop to an Asterisk server on Broadvoice was notably worse.
Next task is to route through a Gumstix computer mounted in my trunk.

Yay Linux!  Bringing sex appeal to geekdom.