[ale] How easy using a USB CellModem has become.

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 10:19:46 EDT 2008

I had a similar happy moment with Fedora 9. NetworkManager understands my
Verizon card, saw it immediately and all I had to do was put in my cards
"phone number" and vzw for the password and name the connection. Now all I
do is plug in the card and in about 15-20 seconds, I'm online.

Big difference over prior releases. F7,8 required much manual futzing with
ppp-chat scripts. Work laptop with Ubuntu 7.x was not as nice as the 8.x
series.

Yay! Linux!

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 10:09 AM, Mike Harrison <meuon at geeklabs.com> wrote:

> Sometimes, Linux just makes things too easy to believe. Especially Ubuntu.
> We needed to make a laptop online, just about anywhere.
> We bought an Verizon USB 727 and plugged it into an Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy
> Heron powered laptop. Tailing /var/log/messages, I see an Airprime driver
> installed as /dev/ttyUSB0 (actually, /dev/ttyUSB0-/dev/ttyUSB15). Lets see
> if we get lucky:
>
> as root:
>
> #ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/nodem           (optional, see below)
>
> #pppconfig
>
>    1. create a connection,
>    2. named provider
>    3. dynamic dns
>    4. PAP Authentication
>    5. use:YourDevicePhoneNumber at vzw3g.com<use%3AYourDevicePhoneNumber at vzw3g.com>as a login
>    6. vzw as a password.
>    7. 115200 as speed
>    8. tone (of couse)
>    9. #777 as number to dial
>   10. /dev/modem as modem (or /dev/ttyUSB0)
>   11. Pick "Finish".
>

> And now, the commands "pon" will initiate the connection (mine worked the
> first time) and "poff" will hang up.
> "plog" is useful for seeing the log as it connects.
>
> It worked the very first time. Wow.
>
> Because of the Airprime driver, it gets amazing speeds, my speed tests
> are showing bursts in the 800kbps range (bandwidthplace.com)
>
> The bad news: $60 per month for a high usage plan from Verizon.
> Keeping the sales droids from trying to configure WiFi or
> networking while at a clients location: Priceless.

James P. Kinney III