[ale] a disk is just a disk?

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Fri Apr 18 09:31:34 EDT 2008

Jerry Yu wrote:
> I used gparted live cd to copy/resize a small EIDE disk (60G) to a bigger
> EIDE disk (120G).  The new disk was in an external USB enclosure.
> gparted saw 60G as hda and 120G as sdb. It successfully copied & grew all
> five partitions (4 linux ext3 & 1 fat32).
>
> Now I am ready to take this EIDE disk out of the USB enclosure & to replace
> the smaller EIDE disk. / & MBR  & GRUB is on a separate SATA disk (sda)
>
> would the net changes on the new disk differ, somehow,  when parted did all
> its magic thinking it handled a SCSI disk instead of a EIDE disk?

I don't think gparted has anything to do with that.  Once you put the
drive in the computer, boot it with gparted and the partitions will no
longer show up as scsi.

I would expect that swaping eide for eide will permit you to simply boot
afterwards, as long as you're correct in that mbr/grub is on a separate
drive.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin