[ale] NFS root Ubuntu live CD

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Apr 14 22:13:35 EDT 2008

Chris Fowler wrote:
> Eventually I did get a GUI but it was as if I installed Ubuntu in the
> VM, copied it to nfsserver:/nfsroot/001 and then done the PXE thing.  It
> was NOT live CD like with the option to install to disk.
>
> not sure if anyone has ever tried to do PXE and nfsroot the Ubuntu live
> CD.

If you're doing this for installations, you can PXE boot the text-based
installer [0]. It's slower to install from than the live cd, but it's
simple to set up and you  avoid needing to run software updates
afterwards. I've been using this, apt-cacher, and preseeding for mass
"fire and forget" installations on disparate hardware.

I agree that guides in the community-maintained Ubuntu wiki can be
hit-or-miss; it's in real need of a mass purge and reorganization.

[0]
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/gutsy/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/386/netboot.tar.gz

-Brian