[ale] MS Money Alternative (was error booting XP after dual boot install of Ubuntu 7.10)

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Apr 10 15:50:38 EDT 2008

Matt Kubilus wrote:
> One thing to watch out for with GNUCash, is that it does not properly
> handle duplicate entries.  If you download your bank transactions,
> upload them into GNUCash, and then do this again the next day, there
> will be duplicates.

Actually, as I recall, when you import the new data, it will list
transactions it finds to be duplicates and you can deal with them at
that time.

> This pretty much make GNUCash useless for syncing with a bank account.
>  Perhaps it's great for manually adding transactions, but I have other
> more important things to do.

All of the banks I've ever dealt with permit me to download a range,
thus I do it monthly and simply select the proper transaction range.

> -Matt
>
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 2:17 PM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Mint and Yodlee use the same authentication system. It is the same
>>  authentication system used by most banks. Maybe the two sites have
>>  different goals, but I haven't been impressed enough with Mint to give
>>  another web based system a try.
>>

>>  On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Matt Kubilus <mattkubilus at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > I don't know about mint, but...
>>  >  I have yodlee setup with bugdets.  It auto updates my accounts,
>>  >  categorizes the transactions, sends me email alerts when i'm nearing
>>  >  thresholds.  I can login see what I've spent where, graph my income to
>>  >  expenses over time, keep track of my net worth.
>>  >
>>  >  I think I could setup auto-bill pay, but I guess I'm just lazy.
>>  >
>>  >  It can take a little bit of setting up, but is far more convenient
>>  >  than any of the local options I've used.
>>  >
>>  >  I'll admit the ms money has better charting options, but that pretty
>>  >  much goes for all the other options.  In fact, I could download all my
>>  >  transactions if I really needed more charting, but I find the built in
>>  >  stuff good enough for my needs.
>>  >
>>  >  There are other online finance apps, but I would be a little careful.
>>  >  Yodlee is the only one I'm aware of that actually is used by financial
>>  >  organizations as their portal interface.
>>  >
>>  >  -Matt
>>

>>  --
>>

>> James Sumners
>>  http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>>
>>  "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts
>>  pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it
>>  is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become
>>  drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>>
>>  Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
>>  CH:D 59

Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin