[ale] DMA problem solved

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 23:36:02 EDT 2008

RedHat (and CentOS) have backported some stuff from 2.6.23+ whe all drives
are now sdx devices. The plan is to stop having drives be named by the
interface type (good idea!) and just be named by device tree params (pci
bus, scsi bus, etc). So adding another drive will NOT change existing device
names but moving drives around may(will).

The old hdx stuff is gone fully by 2.6.24.

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Christopher Fowler <
cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:

> I finally solved the DMA problem.
>
> The system has an Intel ICH5 controller.  I seemed to have had
> CONFIG_ATA configured in the kernel and it was conflicting with another
> driver.  Based on this:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/110636
>
> I disabled CONFIG_ATA and enabled CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA.  I now have
> my dma and a rebuild of the SWAP raid took 30s where before it was
> taking 10m.
>
> Now the CentOS5 system runs kernel 2.6.22-xxxx and I'm running 2.6.22.
> In CentOS5 the drives are sda.  In my system they are hda.  Is there
> something I need to change in the .config file for the linux kernel?
>
> Chris

James P. Kinney III