[ale] DMA problem solved

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Apr 9 18:28:15 EDT 2008

I finally solved the DMA problem.

The system has an Intel ICH5 controller.  I seemed to have had
CONFIG_ATA configured in the kernel and it was conflicting with another
driver.  Based on this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/110636

I disabled CONFIG_ATA and enabled CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA.  I now have
my dma and a rebuild of the SWAP raid took 30s where before it was
taking 10m.

Now the CentOS5 system runs kernel 2.6.22-xxxx and I'm running 2.6.22.
In CentOS5 the drives are sda.  In my system they are hda.  Is there
something I need to change in the .config file for the linux kernel?

Chris