[ale] OT: WII question

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Apr 7 18:31:04 EDT 2008

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> All,
>
> I bought a WII game console recently.  Need to back up the CDs/DVDs
> that came with it.  I haven't tried to do it yet, but are there any
> tricks I need to be aware of?

I don't believe you can use the backups without modifying the Wii.

"The optical drive found in the Wii is capable of dealing with normal
DVD media. But the drive's firmware is only programed to work with
genuine Wii media. Normally, the firmware checks if a disc is a genuine
Wii disc by looking at certain areas of the disc like the BCA (Burst
Cutting Area) and the DMI (Disk Manufacturing Information), and refuses
to work if the checks are not passed. Also genuine Wii discs use custom
scrambling seeds that must be properly initialized."

http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Drivechip

There are links on that same site to software for using the wiimote with
linux; it looks fun.

-Brian