[ale] www.pbs.org/designsquad

Jim Philips philips_jim at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 7 18:27:38 EDT 2008

On Monday 07 April 2008 04:16:17 pm Steve Brown wrote:
> 2008/4/7 Jeff Lightner <jlightner at water.com>:
> > In no particular order a few of the other things I've liked:
> >
> > I Claudius
> >
> > Celtic Woman
> >
> > Ken Burns' Civil War
> >
> > The Computer Chronicles
> >
> > Many of the Britcoms.
>
> Lets not forget Triumph of the Nerds. They also showed the Grateful Dead
> Movie, which I went out and bought after seeing.
> -Steve Brown

I don't know how PBS will continue to fare in the world of the Internet and a
cable channel for everything. But it has certainly served its purpose for a
long time. Over time, I have learned an extraordinary amount from shows like
Nova and Nature. My daughter of seven has practically been raised on PBS
programming. Face it: The snarky and vulgar programming for children on
commercial TV teaches kids to be snarky and vulgar before their time. In my
younger years, I was transformed by stuff like Monty Python and the numerous
classic movies I could only find on PBS. So, I'm happy it's around and I hope
it lasts a lot longer.

Add Ken Burns' docu on baseball to the list above. I learned more cool things
about baseball from that than I learned from 30 years of reading about
baseball in newpapers and magazines.