[ale] License agreement for Linux based commercial systems..

Steve Brown braino420 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 12:40:27 EDT 2008

IANAL, so I'm generally very confused about topics like this, but your
question prompted me to look at a few of these licenses (or atleast their
summaries, heh). While I was reading the MySQL commercial license summary
[1], it says that you are required to obtain the commercial license if you
are distributing your work with MySQL and your work is not licensed under
the GPL, or GPL-compatible. When you go further down, one of their
definitions for distributing MySQL is if your customer is required to
install it in order to use your product. So it seems like you have the
choice of GPL, or GPL-compatible license, or you have to "obtain" (which I
assume means purchase) the MySQL commercial license. But after reading the
GPL FAQ; why not just license your software under the GPL, and charge for
distribution and support? You mentioned the software is highly customized
for this customer, so the risk of your customer selling/distributing your
software to someone would be close to worthless without your companies
support. What am I missing?

-Steve Brown

[1] http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/commercial-license.html