[ale] Tweaking 'emacs' font size

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Apr 1 17:06:42 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 15:00 -0400, John Mills wrote:
> This works fine on a new instance of emacs, but the font size is not
> inherited when I open a new frame with 'C-x 5 2' or from the toolbar.
> have to go back through setting the options with the new frame to get
> larger font.

You can shift-click on the new buffer, select Misc, and then select
Default.

As for a way to make this permanent, I have been searching myself.  It
annoys me, too, and I don't know how to make it persistent.

> The settings end up in my '~/.gnu-emacs-custom', by the way.

Odd.  How did that happen?  My GNU Emacs has always only used ~/.emacs.
Does your distribution customize it in some way?

> Anyone know how to make child frames inherit the parent's default font
> (and other settings for that matter)?
>
> Is there a succinct source of this type information I could consult
> instead of burdening the list?

You can try the Emacs newsgroups, there is a gnu.emacs.help or similar
IIRC.  I used to read it, but I wound up (once again) falling away from
Usenet and need to get back "into" it.  It is extremely informative,
though, and I mostly lurked when I was there.  It's moderate in terms of
traffic.  Of course, you can also read all the info docs on Emacs, but
very much unlike myself, the people who wrote that documentation have a
talent for terseness.  :-)  (That's not exactly bad, but it does mean
more of a time investment when reading the very large amount of
documentation for Emacs.)

	--- Mike

Michael B. Trausch                                   mike at trausch.us
home: 404-592-5746, 1                                 www.trausch.us