[ale] perl modules on debian [was: Re: yahoo email]

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Sep 19 11:02:02 EDT 2007

On Wed 2007-09-19 10:00:30 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> with Debian, when I try to sun yosucker I get this:
>
> YoSucker: Cannot find IO::Socket::SSL perl module.

You should probably do:

  aptitude install libio-socket-ssl-perl

On debian systems, if you don't need to absolute latest version of a
perl module, and the module is already packaged and distributed via
the debian repositories, it's often a better idea to install it via
aptitude or apt-get instead of cpan.  This way, the package manager
knows about it, and you have the support of the debian maintainer,
whose job it is to make sure that it cleanly integrates with all the
other components of a debian system.

the recommended mapping (according to policy [0]) for perl module
names to debian package names is:

 Foo::Bar -> libfoo-bar-perl

If the module *isn't* already packaged and in the debian repositories,
you might be interested in dh-make-perl [1], which makes it fairly
painless to convert most CPAN modules into debian packages, which can
then be installed via dpkg (or deployed to many machines if you
maintain your own apt repository).

hth,

        --dkg

[0] http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/perl-policy/ch-module_packages.html#s-package_names