[ale] Linux HA

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Oct 31 16:45:29 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 16:35 -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 15:28 -0400, Charles Shapiro wrote:
> > I believe that what you are looking for is what one ALE lecturer
> > called a "STONITH Interface" ("Shoot the Other Node in the Head").

> And the poor man's STONITH interface - the X10 appliance module.

	And that is no joke brother!  Amen!

	If you get some of the intelligent interfaces, you can even program in
some safety macros.  I've got a site with 6 boxes on X-10 controller
modules and three serial X-10 controller interfaces and if they see a
machine commanded off, they can order it back on after a period of time.
That can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your application
but, in this case, if you killed the master system and it comes back up
and recovers it should naturally become the slave, swapping roles and
allowing you to access it and determine what went wrong.

	MAIN reason I put the "dead man switch" (or what I like to call the
"Mars Rover Reboot Recovery" logic) in there was on the off chance that
some stray X-10 command would result in an "all off" or maybe a
programing error shooting the wrong node in the head.  :-/  Safety
first.  Has never happened but those X-10 controllers have saved my BUTT
on several occasions.

	Redundancy is definitely your friend.  Make sure each machine has a
interface to control all the controllers.  I have needed the triple
redundancy on occasion.

	Mike