[ale] 1U server question

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 13:47:52 EDT 2007

As far as I know, basically all servers offer PXE (network) boot, and will
grab a dhcp address to do it.

I work for a company that builds server management software, and we allow
server provisioning via PXE boot to our dhcp server, then walking back to
the workstation logged-into the management tool and deploying an OS and
application stack.

WMM

On 10/24/07, Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:

> I'm toying with the idea of putting in a small system in a colocation
> site and was looking at 1U servers.  I've not worked with these before
> and haven't quite figured out how you initially boot them.  None of
> them, that I've looked at, mention a serial port which was what I
> thought one might use to communicate with the bios.  One did have a
> statement like "lan only" under "Remote management" which I'm assuming
> is how you'd access it.
>
> But, how would that work?  I could see if it were a dhcp client it could
> get an ip address, but then you'd have to guess what it is.  Also it
> wouldn't make sense to assume dhcp 'cause once you got it in the colo
> site, you couldn't be assured that there was a dhcp server nor would you
> be able to connect to it.
>
> Anyway, before I spend $$ on something, I think I need to know how these
> things work.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim.

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2