[ale] mount.cifs showing uid/gid of remote nas

J. D. jdonline at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 18:04:10 EDT 2007

Hey all,

I have been trying to properly mount a samba share on my home
nas. I can mount it but it retains the uid and gid of the nas
instead of the local ones.

Upon doing some research into mount.cifs it indicates
that the local uid and gid parameters can be set  as arguments
and that they should override the remote ones. When I
try this though it doesn't seem to have an effect.

Here is what I have tried:
[17:51:54 root at servo /home]# mount.cifs //$NAS_IP_HERE/store /home/store -o
username=$FOOUSER,uid=501,gid=501

and here is what I end up with:
[17:52:09 root at servo /home]# ls -l /home
drwx------ 11       33 root        0 Oct 22 10:39 store/
[17:52:12 root at servo /home]#

As you can see the uid is 33 and the gid is root. It would be really cool
for it to have the
gid and uid of my $FOOUSER instead. This is under Centos 5 and I have
duplicated similar
trouble with Ubuntu 7.04. Help a geek out please. ;)

Best regards,

J. D.