[ale] Build servers?

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 09:02:48 EDT 2007

Hmm.  Much of my day job consists of managing a build server.

The classical solution for this kind of problemo is ant (
http://ant.apache.org/ ) plus some kind of manager script like
CruiseControl, Maven, anthill, or a simple shell script kicked off by a cron
job ( as you currently have it).  Apache ant is kind of a super-duper
make(1) language, which you can use to code a large variety of build and
test tasks.  You'll heed a recent java implementation on your build machine
to use it, but you can make stuff in about any language. We're currently
using it to compile a big complex hideous C++ application, then package it
in a variety of different ways.  We nuke 'n' pave about a million lines of
source and then check it out from subversion on every build.

This might be a little heavy-weight for what you're currently thinking
about,  but the advantage of gritting your teeth, learning the tool, and
setting it up is that you'll have a much simpler framework as your Troubles
grow and you have to take care of error notifications, more architectures,
different packages (rpm anyone?), et cetera and so forth.  A 500-line shell
script to handle all of this gets unwieldy fast, and it's dificult to hand
it off to someone else.

Also also I've found that if either you hate java or your java-fu is low,
jython works just fine with ant for the inevitable day when you have to do
some weird custom thing not covered by the language itself.

- CHS