[ale] files from a mac

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Thu Oct 18 10:12:08 EDT 2007

Preston and friend -

I have used a Memorex USB 'Traveldrive' to transfer files between Linux,
Windows, and MacOS-8.6 (my wife's iMac). I did notice one peculiarity:
MacOS requested permission to 'initialize' the USB drive, or similar
phrasing. I accepted (hey - it was a new drive) and MacOS installed some
administrative files on the USB device. Caused no problems then or since.

On the iMac I always have to relearn the multi-finger salute to create a
file copy and not a link (or vice-versa for that matter). After I have
made copies, it's usually "Drag'n'Drop".

More often I use our LAN to transfer files. I have an SSH client for the
iMac which includes an FTP server to runs locally (on the iMac). I start
that service, SSH to my Linux box, and run its FTP client back against the
server I've started in the iMac. (If you have the purchased SSH tool I
think this is made simpler - the free one works fine, however.) If anyone
needs such a tool for an older iMac, reply and I'll see where I got it and
post the link.

 - Mills