[ale] files from a mac

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 22:19:37 EDT 2007

I can only speak about OS X. If you are dealing with 9 or earlier, I can't help.

That being said. OS X is merely a derivation of FreeBSD. So, yes dot
files are present. The text files, from OS X, are standard Unix text
files. That is, the lines end with LF not CR or CRLF.

The simplest way to copy the files to the USB drive is to drag them
over with Finder. It will create some hidden files that can be
ignored, but the actual files should be fine. I do this frequently to
transfer some XML files from my laptop to my XP machine. The hidden
files store metadata that the Fat32 filesystem can't handle. If you
look at the directory structure on the HFS+ drive you won't see the
dot files. The information in them is stored in the filesystem.

Zipping files is as easy as right clicking (ctrl+click or click and
hold) the file and choosing "Create archive" from the context menu.