[ale] Windows XP Home and Samba

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Oct 8 18:09:14 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 15:00 -0700, Bruce wrote:
> I've been reading Samba docs, and read that Windows XP
> Professional can integrate with a Samba PDC or BDC,
> but Windows XP Home can not.

	More generally, XP Home can not integrate with any PDC, BDC, or AD.
The home version can't "join a domain".

> I want to put up a file server at home to provide file
> storage for users. Just a simple Samba server. Would I
> just set it up as a standalone and we're good to go?

	Yes...

	It would probably be wise to set it up with security=user and add user
accounts to the smb database with either smbpassword or pdbedit.  Then
you'll just have to log in when you connect to a share.  You can also
use security=share and just have share passwords but that's really
deprecated and highly discouraged, even for a simple home server.

> I'd only be interested in PDCs and BDCs if I had
> multiple servers, and that would not be the case at
> home. Is that the way it works?

	Not precisely, but close enough.  If you've got multiple shares on a
single server, that could make a difference as well.

	Mike