[ale] kernel boot parameters

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Sat Oct 6 12:37:13 EDT 2007

On Sat October 6 2007 11:41 am, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I was looking at the NVIDIA site for HELP with my driver issue. I found
> this, but I don't understand what it is asking me to do..
> # If you are seeing severe stability problems and you are using a Linux 2.6
> SMP kernel on a system with multiple processors (or processor cores) in
> combination with more than one GPU, please search the output of `dmesg` for
> the presence of the message below after the system has just been started:
>
> ? ? PCI: Using MMCONFIG
> (yes, I found that line in my dmesg output)
>
> If this message is present, please boot the system with the pci=nommconf
> kernel parameter and check if the stability problems continue to reproduce.
>
> # If your system is equipped with a dual-core processor, booting with the
> idle=poll kernel parameter may improve reliability with some Linux kernels.
>--------- how do you boot your system and add those parameters??
> basically I guess I need to add:
> idle=poll
> pci=nommconf
so, when I got to the grub menu, I tried to "e" edit the lin and add those 2
parameters. kdm wouldn't start.. dpkag-reconfigure xserver-xorg didn't help
and neither did nvidia-xconfig
I didn't have these problems in SUSE, but Debian and NVIdia don't seem to play
nice. Right now my video is broke, I can't play any videos, mplayer gives me
a segmentation fault and the System menu- NVIDIA X server settings app just
goes to an hourglass and disappears.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800