[ale] kppp- Zoom didn't work

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Fri Oct 5 15:00:41 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 03 October 2007 16:48, William Bagwell wrote:
> > I looked on linmodem.org already... unless you pay $19.95 even if you
> > get the right driver it won't work above 14.4 , so I'm guessing a new
> > external hardware modem is the way to go.
> > I saw a zoom on Amazon that says linux.. V.92 USB Mini Ext Modem ?3095F,
> > for $50.
>
> External or if the box in question has a legacy ISA slot, those old suckers
> still work great. Used to could find 56Ks at shows for about $5.
>
> Hope I never have to go back to dial up!

well my Uncle got a Zoom modem 3095 model, and it even came with a linux
folder on the CD. It didn't work, the directions were trash. Very frustrating
to work over the phone with someone who has no idea what a command line is,
and the directions tell you to copy the appropriate folder
( .deb, .rpm, .tar) to your computer, and then go to that driver folder.
after an hour we gave up and he will reinstall XP. He called Zoom technical
support, got some Indian that he couldn't understand who didn't know anything
about linux drivers.
the install doc says :
type sudo
type dpkg -i dgcmodem_i386.deb

typing sudo by itself doesn't do anything.
we tried sudo dpkg and just dpkg and he kept getting some strange errors about
bash: ls deb not found or something like that. I give up.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800