[ale] Is this really Ubuntu?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Fri Oct 5 00:26:30 EDT 2007

Dr. Brian J. Dowd wrote:

>> If 3 years is your usual wait between upgrades, a normal Ubuntu
>> release isn't ideal because security updates are only provided for 18
>> months. Perhaps Debian [2] fits the bill.
>>
> Security updates are *constantly* released. This is true not only for
> the customized kernel but for a great many of the applications contained
> in the software repositories.

I think Sr Pitts's point was that for a particular version of Ubuntu,
you can only expect to be supported with constant security updates
for 18 months.  So you'd go the second 18 months without security
patches, if you insist on upgrading on a 3-year cycle.

-- JK

--
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be
dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens