[ale] Is this really Ubuntu?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Oct 4 22:11:33 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 21:31 -0400, Alexander Barton wrote:
> This has got to be alpha software.  I managed to crash the installer a
> handful of times just partitioning the drives with the expert mode
> partitioner.  Hint: don't set a partition type to "dont_use". The
> drop-down box for mount points was empty half the time.  Even the dialog
> buttons were flaky -- they ignored clicks unless one first moused out
> of, then back into the button.  I could go on and on.
>
> Surely I must have downloaded the beta version or something like that.
> Perhaps this is a Microsoft dirty trick?
>
> So, can anyone recommend another distribution?

First off, I don't claim to know the graphical installer system
intimately.  It has yet to gain functionality that I use in the
alternate install CD, so I just don't use it.

I wholeheartedly recommend three distributions based on the reasoning
for using them.  For desktop systems, I recommend Ubuntu or Slackware,
depending on what type of user you are and whether or not you like
managing large portions of the system yourself.  For servers, I
recommend Debian, Ubuntu, or Slackware, for the same reasons.  Many
people prefer Debian over Ubuntu for use on servers, and that is a
matter of preference.

However, I also recommend that you use the text-mode installer.  It's
easy to figure out, and it is significantly more powerful than the GUI
analog.  It's also considerably more stable, and the additional options
that it can give you makes it well worth the dedicated installer as
opposed to having the live CD and a complete desktop.  I think that
you'll have a far better time with it, and once you're used to it, you
can actually streamline the install process quite a bit if you work with
other people frequently.

	--- Mike

Michael B. Trausch                                   mike at trausch.us
home: 404-592-5746, 1                                 www.trausch.us