[ale] Is this really Ubuntu?

Alexander Barton abarton at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 4 21:31:14 EDT 2007

About every three years I replace my home desktop with the latest and
greatest.  I've heard wonderful tings about Ubuntu.  This time around I
though I'd give it a try.  So I installed Ubuntu 7.04 Desktop.  But...

This has got to be alpha software.  I managed to crash the installer a
handful of times just partitioning the drives with the expert mode
partitioner.  Hint: don't set a partition type to "dont_use". The
drop-down box for mount points was empty half the time.  Even the dialog
buttons were flaky -- they ignored clicks unless one first moused out
of, then back into the button.  I could go on and on.

Surely I must have downloaded the beta version or something like that.
Perhaps this is a Microsoft dirty trick?

So, can anyone recommend another distribution?

Thanks,
Alexander