[ale] Craig's list scammer and StarTrek

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Sat Nov 17 09:25:07 EST 2007

Daniel Howard wrote:
> Yes, it's definitely a scammer, and I've had one recently that is much
> more subtle: a prospective buyer asked to come see the furniture with
> his wife before committing to purchase.  I said fine, I'll arrange to
> move the furniture to a public parking lot for viewing, and suddenly
> cricket, cricket, cricket... I'm guessing this one was hoping to see the
> house where an antique piece was held in order to scout it out for a
> future heist.  I've now had two friends whose homes were vandalized
> after service workers came to the house (one of which was a cable
> contractor), so watch out for service workers as well.  When I had my HD
> Settop box installed, I made sure the techs saw the cameras all around
> the outside my house and told them, "smile, you're on the Internet," and
> so far, knock on wood, no problems.

This is getting further OT, but it's a great (true) story.  I used to
work at a factory years ago.  A friend leaving at the end of his shift
came out to find the battery stolen out of his car.  He returned to the
building to call the police and his wife to get a ride.  When he
returned to the car, he found the battery back in place and an envelope
sitting on top of it.  Inside the envelope was a note apologizing for
the 'borrowing' of the battery.  The note indicated that the person
needed a jump and borrowed the battery.  There were two tickets to a
upcoming concert, in order to compensate the guy.  You probably know the
rest of the story.  The guy and his wife go to the concert, return home
to find their house has been cleaned out.  Nothing like knowing someone
will be gone for 3-4 hours...

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin