[ale] Latency on my DSL line

List lst at wiencko.net
Wed Nov 7 20:43:10 EST 2007

Speedfactory has been having some bizzare problems in the past few
days.  I had a brief outage (brief for them... about 15 minutes) and
called them.  The brain damaged customer service rep told me the usual
things - power cycle and reboot everything, and so on.  Of course, I had
already done that.  Then, while he was busy getting help from somebody
who knows something, the network came back.  He claimed it was the power
cycling that fixed the problem (not).

The rest of the day the network degraded until around 10PM it was
essentially unusable.   Using Speedtest.Net (the best speed tester I've
found so far) I was getting 700ms pings and 240Kbs (yes, K) download
throughput.   Called them back and got the same moron... er... CS rep,
who said they in fact were having an "intermittent" problem and had no
idea if or when it would get fixed.  About an hour and a half later the
network came back.

I don't know if you can invoke Speedtest.net's server via anything
except their rather snazzy Javascript web page, but it might be worth
looking into.

I've seen a lot of this type of problem lately.  It is not necessarily a
nighttime problem, but starts with an outage of some sort, then degraded
service for 12-48 hours.  Speedfactory has no idea that there is a
problem, what the problem may be, or when if ever somebody will fix the
problem.  I have been told (over the several dozen calls I have had with
them in the past year or so) that my router was bad, modem fried, or
house wiring defective.  I finally got annoyed enough to buy a
replacement router and modem, which I keep configured and on the shelf
able to switch out at a moment's notice to show them that the problem is
not my equipment or network.

Speedfactory used to be the best service and offered a competitive
price.  They have fallen rapidly in reliability and bottomed out in
customer service over the past year or so.  Pity, as there don't really
seem to be any viable alternatives.

Tom