[ale] Ubuntu for AMD64

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Mon May 7 01:12:54 EDT 2007

On 5/6/07, runman <runman at speedfactory.net> wrote:
> Has anyone installed and used/is using the Ubuntu version for AMD64 ??  It
> seems like a little under-developed as compared to Suse for example.  I am
> trying to find a distro that works really well on a dual Opteron computer
> and that will dual boot with Windows 2000.  I have used Suse for this
> several versions ago but am not familiar with OpenSuse.

I've been using it on my dual Athlon64 system for about 6 months.
It's pretty good.  With feisty multimedia just got really good--I
think I can play everything my wife and kids can on their 32 bit
system.  I was never able to do that on dapper or edgy.

For flash, nsplugin wrapper worked pretty well and I can play flash nicely.

Before Ubuntu (Kubuntu, really, but there is no real difference) I
used Mandriva which was okay, but I disapproved of the direction they
are heading, so I switched.

Michael