[ale] [OT] Flash Drive Lag

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 22:51:21 EDT 2007

I have a pair of 4G flash drives (from woot.com a couple weeks back)... they
have no issues whatsoever with USB 2.0

WMM

On 3/30/07, Dan Lambert <danlambert at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I have a 4GB Lexar, and it is as fast (at least as far as I can tell) as
> my 512K Lexar. There is no niticable difference in speed. I have a 4GB
> that I bought at Microcenter, but it wasn't their brand, and it is a
> LITTLE slower than the Lexar, but not much.
>
> It could be the quality of the memory that they use in those drives is
> not as good. there has to be some difference, or the price would be the
> same (or comparable).
>
> Dan
>
> On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 13:53 -0500, Preston Boyington wrote:
> > I just got one of the 2GB Flash Drives from MicroCenter.  Immediately I
> > rsync'd all my portable software and other data from my 512mb thumbdrive
> > and anxiously waited to play with my new toy.  well, I'm pretty
> > disappointed.  this thing is extremely slow compared to my 512. i had
> > heard that flash drives slow as the size goes up (ie. a 512mb would be
> > faster than a 1GB), but this is mindnumbing.
> >
> > i wondered if partitioning the drive would make a difference?  i wanted
> > a larger drive mainly to have DSL and a couple of other 'nix toys
> > available while i am traveling and having to use others win machines.
> >
> > worst case i will go back to using my 512 for daily usage and keep this
> > as an auxiliary data drive.  although that would be disappointing.  will
> > see if the speed is better on my linux box this afternoon.

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2