[ale] How do I get to run level 3? Ubuntu 6.10

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Thu Mar 29 13:52:18 EDT 2007

Dan Lambert wrote:
> On any of the Ubuntu boxes that I have, you can always hit the Escape
> key while Grub is loading at boot up, and it will take you out of the
> normal boot mode and bypass the graphical splash screen.
>
> Once you are at the boot menu, you can chose which kernel to boot, and
> whether you want command line or not. One can chose what kernel to boot,
> normal or recovery mode, and easily work everything form there without
> having to worry about pre-setting a runlevel.
>
> Dan
>
> On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 09:30 -0400, Jim wrote:
>
>> James Sumners wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/212
>>>
>>> On 3/28/07, Jim <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:

I think that brings up single user mode which is somewhat different from
multiuser mode without X.   Nvidia complained when I tried to install in
single user mode.  He didn't abort, he just said it might not work in
single user mode and gave me the option of continuing or quitting I
didn't have the kernel source installed so it didn't work anyway.

Jim.