[ale] How do I get to run level 3? Ubuntu 6.10

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 11:36:47 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 09:30 -0400, Jim wrote:

> OK I see it is that way, but it does seem like a mistake to not have
> level that is command line only without X.  Just my opinion,
> obviously
> not shared by the debian community.

All you have to do is not use a desktop manager ([xkg]dm packages) and
you won't start up into X.  I have never used anything in between an
"emergency" or "recovery" boot and a regular boot up; if I need
something that wasn't done in an emergency shell right away, I usually
do it myself.

It just seems better that way, to me.  Less things to get in your way,
and then you have only two modes to worry about instead of several (up
to 6, without the system ones).

    ? Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!