[ale] Dell and Linux

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 29 11:30:19 EDT 2007

We've bought Dell Precision workstations for years with Redhat shipped on them by default.  The hardware and software support is good for those.  However, the hoopla is that Dell would offer any of their machines this way or OSless.  I just like getting hardware I know is supported since we usually reload to OpenSuse anyway.  If you look at how narrow the drivers and updates are for MSWindows or just one OS like Redhat, you can see how Dell is able to deal with support using the traditional methods.  Jason Perlow made an interesting suggestion in the latest Linux Magazine.  He suggested that Dell create a Linux support marketplace similar to Amazon that would allow small third party vendors to provide Linux support for users.  I thought this was actually a pretty good idea for those that want some different distro, or a mix of applications supported that Dell could not afford to provide indepth support for.  I do think that Dell could provide an additional built in fee for licensing codecs to the common user.  In fact, I'm going to go and suggest that on the Dell site.
Thanks,
Dow