[ale] Firewall/VPN solutions

Jeremy T. Bouse Jeremy.Bouse at UnderGrid.net
Tue Mar 27 11:59:10 EDT 2007

Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 07:49 -0400, Steve Tynor wrote:
>> I can second OpenVPN -- we used it on our IPCop firewall.  All of our
>> client machines are currently Windows, so I can't speak to Linux or OS/X
>> support,  but the Windows client is dead simple and it "just works".
>
> Under GNOME, if you have network-manager-openvpn installed, you can just
> use a small druid and configuring the network on the client-side is a
> breeze.  You can also use a shell script to do NM's job there, if you
> really want, but I like the interface that the NetworkManager presents.
>
>     -- Mike

OpenVPN has already been looked at. It is fine for Linux obviously but
the Windows solution has proven to not be as simple nor has Mac OS X.
With Windows just having PGP software installed can cause issues if
you're using X.509 certificate authentication. Using the CryptoAPI to
identify certificates is problematic and the configuration for 2000/XP
does not work with Vista.