[ale] Heya folks! Any suggestions for a geek moving to/near Atlanta?

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Sun Jun 10 11:19:27 EDT 2007

Brian Schenken wrote:
> We live in Tracy now, about a 2 hour commute to my old work.  (Yup,
> four hours a day) There's a two lane highway into Tracy and it's
> always packed - mostly because folks can't PICK A LANE.  They jump
> back and forth and the folks behind them have to slow down, rinse and
> repeat.  Maybe they should just make the freeways one big lane.

	I lived in Pittsburg when I was back in CA and worked down in Palo
Alto. Took me about 3 hours one-way.

> Jeremy: We've been using Comcast here, but <boggle>they don't support
> relocating business class connections with static IP's</boggle>.  So,
> if we had a standard connection we could just pick up where we left
> off, but because we spend three times the normal amount for a bit more
> bandwidth and a few static IP's (which I would have thought would have
> made us particularly valuable suckers) we are forced to shop around
> when we get to town.  Of course broadband is life to us, more
> important than clean drinking water.

	Yeah I had business class Covad SDSL back in CA and found they couldn't
provide me service when I moved and ended up having to pay the fews for
breaking my contract early. Since I don't do cable modems I only had
Bellsouth to go with.

> We're Atheists too, which I understand is even_worse_than_gay down
> there.  Might be time to peel off the Darwin fish if we wan't to keep
> from having our windows smashed...  I can live with treating my ideals
> like a terrible secret, but I don't think I'll be buying a gun...  I
> qualified with my m16 in the Army and  haven't any reason to pick up a
> gun since.  Plus with kids around...  I prefer the mouse.

	Then avoid Kennesaw where I believe there's still a law that ever home
owner must have a firearm. I thought that was a funny law but I do hear
the B&E rate is quite low.