[ale] Notebook Recommendations?

Jay Finch horus at larp.com
Mon Jul 16 15:05:46 EDT 2007

Well, I just got this E-mail in from Dell:

One
Day  Only!? Vostro 1400 Notebook
with:

    Intel?  Core?„? 2 Duo T5470 (1.6GHz, 2MB
L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows Vista?„? Home
Basic
    2GB  Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2
DIMM
    80G  5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    8X  CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer1 DVD+R write
capability
    1 Year  Limited Hardware Warranty2 with Mail-in
Service!?

Doesn't sound like a bad machine, and Dell should be able to put
Ubuntu on it right our of the box, I believe. :)? (Maybe save some
extra money on it)

Here's the a link through my site that I
created to the deal:
http://www.egazing.com/shop/Dell_SB/Dell-Vostro-1400.php

(OT: I
run an affiliate marketing website at http://www.egazing.com - much like
Smartdeals, and those guys - But for more than electronics.)

Hope that helps!
Jay

> I've got an Acer.  Not a bad
system.

> Pros:
>
> * Good price
> * Looks better than any dell I've seen
> * Good specs for
the price
> * Feels nice and solid, unlike most dells or
compaqs

> Cons:
>
> * Runs kinda hot
(maybe its a core duo thing)
> * Keyboard kinda sucks
> *
Touch pad kinda sucks

> On 7/15/07, James
picked up an Acer dual core Turion a few months back for ~ $600. The

Tomaschik wrote:
>> > I'm currently looking for a new
notebook computer, but as a college
>> > student, I'm trying
to keep costs down.  I'm probably going to
>> dual-boot
>> > it for a few Windows apps, but it'll mostly run Ubuntu.
My current
>> > notebook is a 9.5 lb behemoth, and at times,
it and a few books in my
>> > Targus backpack can kill my
back, so I'm looking for something a
>> little
>>
> lighter.  Basically I'm looking to find the price/power/weight
>> > sweetspot.  Anyone have any recommendations on
brands/models?  I'd
>> like
>> > to stick to
around $1000, if possible.  I'd actually been looking at

an
>> > Apple which could tri-boot with bootcamp, but that
has a large "brand
>> > name tax" with it.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,

David

>> James P. Kinney III
>> CEO & Director of
Engineering
>> Local Net Solutions,LLC

770-493-8244
>> http://www.localnetsolutions.com
>>
>> GPG ID: 829C6CA7 James P. Kinney III (M.S.
Physics)
>> <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

> Don't be a pioneeer.  A pioneer
is the guy with the arrow through his