[ale] Notebook Recommendations?

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sun Jul 15 22:43:29 EDT 2007

David Tomaschik wrote:
> I'm currently looking for a new notebook computer, but as a college
> student, I'm trying to keep costs down.  I'm probably going to dual-boot
> it for a few Windows apps, but it'll mostly run Ubuntu.  My current
> notebook is a 9.5 lb behemoth, and at times, it and a few books in my
> Targus backpack can kill my back, so I'm looking for something a little
> lighter.  Basically I'm looking to find the price/power/weight
> sweetspot.  Anyone have any recommendations on brands/models?  I'd like
> to stick to around $1000, if possible.  I'd actually been looking at an
> Apple which could tri-boot with bootcamp, but that has a large "brand
> name tax" with it.

I'm a grad student with almost the same requirements as you.

Keep in mind that you're eligible for a 10% education discount from
Apple. This makes the low-end Macbooks reasonable if you can stand a 13"
glossy screen.

Last week ordered a Dell 1420N to replace my Powerbook and saved over
$200. Here's what I did:

1) Go to http://delluniversity.com/ and register with your school email
address. You should get an email with your school id number and a coupon
code for $200 off a laptop that costs $999 or more.
2) Go to
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/segmenter.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=eep&cs=6004
and enter your school number to access Dell's full catalog at a
percentage discount (it varies by item and price range).
3) Select "Open Source PCs" in the left column. Build a laptop that
costs more than $999, then apply the coupon code at checkout.

Here's what I ordered. The 1420s are on display at the Dell kiosk in
Lenox mall if you'd like to see one. Rather than waste money on RAM and
hard drive upgrades (much cheaper from Newegg), I upgraded the processor
to cross the $999 threshold.

Item Description*     *Unit Price*         *Quantity*     *Total Price*

*Inspiron 1420N*
Intel? Core 2 Duo T7300 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache), Ubuntu version
7.04     * $1,009.00*     *1*     * $1,009.00*

Inspiron 1420N     *Intel? Core 2 Duo T7300 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache)*
     [223-1344]
System Color     *Jet Black*
     [320-5524]
Memory     *1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz*
     [311-7253]
LCD Panel     *Anti-glare, widescreen 14.1 inch display (1280x800)*
     [320-5497]
Video Card     *Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100*
     [320-5495]
Hard Drive     *80GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)*
     [341-4863]
Operation System     *Ubuntu version 7.04*
     [420-7153]
Integrated NIC and Modem     *Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem*
     [430-0493]
Optical Drive     *8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R
write capability*
     [313-5277]
Sound Card     *Integrated High Definition Audio*
     [313-4783]
Wireless Networking Cards     *Intel? 3945 802.11a/g Mini-card*
     [430-2334]
Camera     *No Camera*
     [320-5523]
Primary Battery     *56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)*
     [312-0539]
Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options     *1Yr Ltd Warranty and
Mail-In Service*
     [950-3337]
[960-2780]
[983-3180]
[987-5397]
[987-8139]
Bluetooth Options     *Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)*
     [430-2348]
Dell Recycling     *Free Recycling Kit*
     [310-5408]
Processor Branding     *Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor*
     [310-9348]

Students save $200 off Inspiron notebooks priced $999 and above!     -
$200.00

*ADDITIONAL DISCOUNTS AND COUPONS*

Dell EPP/FSS customers receive 4% off systems priced $800 to $1600 with
1/2yr At-Home service.     - $32.36

*Subtotal:*     * $776.64*
*Shipping and Handling:*     $19.99
*Shipping Discount:*     -$19.99