[ale] [OT] External USB drives

Steve Brown braino420 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 13:15:47 EDT 2007

On 7/12/07, Paul Cartwright <paul_tbot at pcartwright.com> wrote:

> fat32 file system.. SO, I should either delete the partition and create 2
> partitions, one for my laptop & one for th desktop, or just do it
> file-by-file. I really wanted to ghost it, but I'm sure that will run up
> against the same file size limitation.

Get rid of the fat32 partition, it's going to do more harm than good. Not
only because of the 4GB limit, but also because you need a good stable
/journaling/ fs if you're going to be using this to backup your data. I like
the idea of two partitions, but for different reasons. As someone suggested
on this list awhile ago, have one very small fat32 partition that only holds
the winders drivers for the ext2/ext3 fs, and then just make the rest ext3.
You really don't even need the small partition if this will be for your own
personal use (I believe the person who suggested this needed to be able to
share with relatives), just install the drivers and you're done. Sure sounds
better than copying file-by-file *cringe*

HTH,
Steve B