[ale] BURNING A LIVE CD

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Mon Jan 8 19:12:02 EST 2007

David Corbin wrote:

> On Monday 08 January 2007 16:36, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 16:13 -0500, Watson, Keith R. wrote:
>>
>>>Stephen,
>>>
>>>Several people have already recommended ISO recorder. It works really
>>>well. There is also a free program that is similar in features to Nero
>>>called CDBurnerXP Pro.
>>>
>>>http://www.cdburnerxp.se/
>>
>>Why add an application when WinXP comes built with the ability to write
>>ISOs to disk?
>

> It doesn't.   At least not all versions do.  Maybe the Pro version does, but
> even that I have my doubts about.

XP Pro can burn CDs out of the box. However, there's
some obscure trick to burning an ISO vs burning
a *data disk* containing the ISO image as a
regular file. (The location of the magic checkbox
or whatnot escapes me at the moment.) I've accidentally
burned several data disks that way, which of course
completely failed to work as expected. In general,
XP's UI for burning CDs blows chunks, and almost any
third-party app is preferable (IMO, natch).

-- JK