[ale] OT Fractals was: RE: Using Linux as an Upconverting DVD player?

Barlow, Jim D jim.d.barlow at intel.com
Thu Jan 4 11:32:46 EST 2007

>The best tool I know for this kind of work is Genuine Fractals (tm) --
>a plug-in for Photoshop.  If you have a 6 megapixel image and you need
>to display it as a 4' X 6' print, GF will manufacture the missing data
>points. The math involved is hairy; fast processors and gigabytes of
memory
>are useful. That's for a single image. At 24 or 30 frames a second, it
>would take months to rebuild a 90 minute movie with a single PC. You'd
>want a cluster for this. And that's assuming you are upconverting from
the
>original (uncompressed) image.
>Sean

Now OT, but the man behind the math of this product has now developed a
generation of mathematics he has dubbed "SuperFractals".   Dr. Barnsley
envisions the technology dynamically creating video content, as well as
many other entertainment and medical applications.   Who knows, at some
point, we may see a lot of historical archival video "upgraded"

http://www.maa.org/reviews/superfractals.html

- Jim