[ale] linux / moonshine project query

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 2 01:58:53 EST 2007

I couldn't help but reply to THIS thread as it is such a fun topic!!!
My Dad, who is a chemist, had me build a temperature control system for
him years ago.  We didn't need high temps but a constant low temp for a
complex distillation setup.  The low temp was provided by a long segment
of copper and plastic tubing filled with water.  We buried the copper
tubing in the ground about 2-3 feet down.  The plastic tubing was run
between the copper and the distillation apparatus.  Since the plastic
tubing run was short and the copper tubing run was long, the largest
mass of water was always in the ground.  Ground temp is very constant
once your below a foot, so we had a very constant water temp.  It is a
poor man's heat sink!

Temperature control really just needs a large mass at the right temp and
a way to transfer heat between the target and the mass.  Keeping the
mass as the right temp get's easier the larger the mass.  A small heat
source and a large mass with good insulation is really easy to control.
Dow